Sub-Sections are used to group questions. They are important for scoring, rating, and building the Feedback Report.
Sub-Sections are not optional, but sometimes there is only one subsection in a section.
- SubSection Name - the Subsection name is not displayed on the response screen. (If it is required it can be shown in the instructions on the first question within the subsection).
- SubSection Number determines the order. To change the order just change the numbers to be in sequence. Otherwise, just drag and drop the section in the menu panel, the system will renumber automatically.
- Randomization of Questions Select this checkbox if you want the questions to appear randomly on the screen. Randomization is available at the Section or Subsection level. If it is implemented at the section level this checkbox will be ignored. All of the scoring and feedback report features continue to be available at the subsection and section level.
- Question Pooling. Select this checkbox if you have a pool of questions in the subsection that the system should only display a random selection of.
- Number of Questions to Ask. This field is only displayed if Question Pooling is selected, and indicates the number of questions that should be displayed from the question pool.
- Rating Type. This field will only appear if Advanced Ratings is implemented. You can maintain the rating text for any of the Rating Types you have defined.
- Rating. A separate tab card is available for each Rating you have specified (for the Rating Type if used). The text is held separately for each rating. (Read more about Ratings). The text entered here will normally appear on the feedback report as a summary rating for the questions in the subsection.
- Advanced tab
Conditions specify the conditions under which this subsection will appear.
Weightings are specified only if you want to override the normal calculation of the section and overall response score and you report percentage scores. (Read more about scoring before implementing this option) If this is done at all you must specify a weighting for every subsection, if any subsection is not specified it will be given a zero weighting and not included in the calculation at all.
If you want the system to calculate the section or the overall response score as the average of all subsections, specify the same weighting in every subsection. The weighting itself (eg 10) is irrelevant, it is the proportion that weighting is of the total of all of the weightings specified.
If you want some subsections to be given more weight in the calculation, specify a proportionately larger factor - ie a subsection with a weighting of 20 will be given twice the weighting of a subsection with a weighting of 10.
- Rating Text. Up to 5 Rating Texts can be entered for each rating. Separate texts are often used in different parts of reports or on separate reports. This field is only available if "Show Alternate Report Texts" is selected in the Settings form
- Save Rating Text. If you are changing multiple texts, save each one before moving to the next one to be maintained. Otherwise, changes will be lost.
- Text Editor -Buttons Row 1
- Align text left
- Centre text
- Align test right
- Justify text
- Bullet Points
- Indent (an additional Outdent button appears if Indent is selected)
- Create a link to an external URL
- Import an Image held on the Graphics table
- Insert file (Not Available)
- Add table. A selector is shown to pick the size of the table (rows and columns) Once a table has been added additional buttons are shown to manage the table (to assist in adding and deleting rows and columns)
- HTML - view and modify the underlying HTML for the text.
- Format - Pick whether this text should be shown as a heading (1-4) or paragraph (normal text). The default is Paragraph.
- Clear Formatting - Important for removing all of the hidden formatting when copying text from other systems.
- Text Editor -Buttons Row 2
- Change the font. This will override the font of the merge string.
- Change the size. This will override the size of the merge string.
- Text color
- Ruler - to place a light grey line across the text.
- Text Editor Row 3 - Merge Fields These fields are used for Question and Answer Piping
- Select Answer Text or Report Text (which you want to merge into the text)
- Select the Question you wish to merge in the Answer or Report Text from. Displays a drop-down list.
- Add. Clicking the add button will insert the formatted merge string into the text at the cursor location.
- Text. Enter the text to be shown on the report if this rating is attained.
- TIP: The text can be formatted in any way you wish, but it is highly recommended that if you cut and paste text from Word or another system that you Clear the Formatting (using the button in Row 1) and reformat it in this text editor. There is often a lot of hidden formatting in copied text.
- TIP2: The initial formatting will be specified by the merge string in the Word document. Formatting here will override that.
- Override. You can select a rating that applies if a specific answer is given to a question. This is normally used if you have a rating that represents "Not Applicable". The Rating that will be shown in this case is the one with the Override Checkbox selected. (Read more about Ratings)
- Chart Color override is used to assign a specific color to subsections within the Feedback and Cohort report graphs. Otherwise, the system will use the Rating colors to color the marks (e.g. bars) in the shart.