Available answers are usually listed beneath a question in the response.
- Answer Text, as it appears on the assessment. If the Answer Type is a TextBox the Answer Text is often blank, but if it is entered it will appear on the response as a watermark. If the Question Type is Matrix, two lines of Answer Text will display to allow for smaller titles across the page. For a series of Matrix Questions, only the first Question’s Answer Text will appear as titles.
- Answer Short Name – is used in internal reporting only. For example, if the question was “Is your Company a Start-up” and the answers were “Yes” and “No” the Answer Short Name may be “Is Start-up” and “Not Start-up”. This assists reporting where you want to either filter by or report responses separately with these attributes.
- Answer Type. Available choices are:
- Content – allows documents and files (of any type) to be attached to the response.
- Drop Down Item - is a dropdown box with all of the answers listed for this question. All the answers to the question would normally be drop down box.
For Ranking Questions, there should be a drop-down list with the available numbers.
- Image – invokes image capture in the response. If the respondent is using a mobile device, the camera will be available. Otherwise, a picture can be selected from the user's The system includes a cropping tool in the upload process.
- Multi-Line A larger text box, allowing for unlimited text.
- Multiple Choice Item. A multi-choice where more than one answer can be selected.
- A numeric
- A decimal number, including currency.
- Single Choice Item. A multi-choice where only one answer can be selected.
- Text Box
- Video – invokes video capture in the response. If the respondent is using a mobile device, the camera will be available. Otherwise, a video can be selected from the user’s computer.
Tip. Often all the available answers for one question are of the same type, but this is not always the case. For example, you could have a question asking what the company’s profit was, with a Decimal Box as the available answer, and a separate Single Choice Item of “I do not want to disclose this.”
- Answer Order. The order the answer appears in the response
- Answer Score. Used to calculate the score. The answer score may have up to 2 decimal places.
The answer score divided by the questions potential score determines the score for this question. In the case of a Multiple Choice Item, all of the selected scores are added together. If the total of the answer score for a question is greater than the questions potential score, the potential score is used. See more information on scoring.
Report Text - this tab is used to specify the text that appears on the report due to this specific answer selected. For example, if you were asking a company about their Strategic Strategic Plan and this answer was “We don’t have one” you would likely have text presenting the benefits of writing a strategic plan.
- Website Controls - This tab should only be used if the system is being used to generate reviews on your website. It allows for the identification of features (or keywords) associated with this response when this answer is selected.
- Advanced Scoring - this tab is used to access advanced scoring features
Default Answer Checkbox - can be used to cause a score to this question even though the question hasn’t been asked. This occurs when questions are conditional on the answers to previous questions. If this checkbox is not checked a suppressed conditional question will be ignored from a scoring perspective, i.e. neither the question’s potential points nor any answer score will be added. Often this is the preferred behavior. If this checkbox is checked both the questions potential points and this answer score will be added.
The rationale for this functionality is to avoid reducing the impact of this question on the total score, positively or negatively.Suppress Scoring. If this checkbox is ticked for a selected answer in a response, then neither the potential score or the answer score will be used. This capability allows for “Not Applicable” response and similar.
Segmentations. An Available Answer can be linked to one or more segmentations. Answer segmentations are an alternate to Question Segmentations and while they can be used in the same assessment, the same Segmentation Name cannot be used in both. When answers are linked to segmentations, the scoring is calculated as follows:
- for the answer taken the Question, Potential Points is added to the Segmentation Question Points and the Answer Score is added to the Segmentation Answer Points.
- for the answers not taken the Question, Potential Points is added to the Segmentation Question Points and 0 is added to the Segmentation Answer Points.
- Rating Text. Up to 5 Rating Texts can be entered for each rating. Separate texts are often used in different parts of reports or on separate reports. This field is only available if "Show Alternate Report Texts" is selected in the Settings form
- Save Rating Text. If you are changing multiple texts, save each one before moving to the next one to be maintained. Otherwise, changes will be lost.
- Text Editor -Buttons Row 1
- Align text left
- Centre text
- Align test right
- Justify text
- Bullet Points
- Indent (an additional Outdent button appears if Indent is selected)
- Create a link to an external URL
- Import an Image held on the Graphics table
- Insert file (Not Available)
- Add table. A selector is shown to pick the size of the table (rows and columns) Once a table has been added additional buttons are shown to manage the table (to assist in adding and deleting rows and columns)
- HTML - view and modify the underlying HTML for the text.
- Format - Pick whether this text should be shown as a heading (1-4) or paragraph (normal text). The default is Paragraph.
- Clear Formatting - Important for removing all of the hidden formatting when copying text from other systems.
- Text Editor -Buttons Row 2
- Change the font. This will override the font of the merge string.
- Change the size. This will override the size of the merge string.
- Text color
- Ruler - to place a light grey line across the text.
- Text Editor Row 3 - Merge Fields These fields are used for Question and Answer Piping
- Select Answer Text or Report Text (which you want to merge into the text)
- Select the Question you wish to merge in the Answer or Report Text from. Displays a drop-down list.
- Add. Clicking the add button will insert the formatted merge string into the text at the cursor location.
- Text. Enter the text to be shown on the report if this rating is attained.
- TIP: The text can be formatted in any way you wish, but it is highly recommended that if you cut and paste text from Word or another system that you Clear the Formatting (using the button in Row 1) and reformat it in this text editor. There is often a lot of hidden formatting in copied text.
- TIP2: The initial formatting will be specified by the merge string in the Word document. Formatting here will override that.